Warts are small, round, elevated non-cancerous skin growths that affect the top most layer of the skin. They are caused by a virus namely Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) and can occur anywhere on the body but most commonly on the hands and the feet.
Types of Warts
There are several types of warts that are caused by different types of the HPV virus. Here are some of the common variants which are encountered in clinical practise.
- Common warts: Commonly grow around the nails, fingers and hands but also occur on other parts of the body and have a roughened surface. They usually grow in areas where the skin is broken or cracked. Also called seed warts since have black dots that look like seeds.
- Genital warts: Genital warts are small lumps that grow in and around the genital areas (i.e. on the vulva, in or around the vagina or anus, on the cervix, on the penis, scrotum, groin or thigh). They occur in the sexually active population and are brown or pink in colour.
- Plantar warts: Also called mosaic warts since they pop up in clusters. These may be very painful since they occur in the soles of the feet and walking puts them under pressure.
- Filiform warts: Filiform warts are long and narrow warts that occur mostly around the eyelids, face, neck or lips with a very rapid growth.
- Flat warts: These warts are small, smooth and similar to the size of a pinhead. Also called juvenile warts since they are commonly found in children or teenagers and are mostly flesh coloured.
Skin tags are small, skin coloured benign growths that hang from the skin. They are completely harmless! They typically happen on the neck, armpits or in the groin, as well as on the eyelids. They occur as a result of aging, excess weight or friction and are not contagious. They are completely benign, but they can be itchy, irritating and obstructive, just like the one on the eyelid below. This irritation worsens when they get caught on items like jewelry or get rubbed during shaving.
Treatment of Warts and Skin Tags
Warts are contagious, hence spread easily from one area to the other and from person to person. So it is required to treat warts at the earliest with the best possible treatment. We at Lumiere Dermatology are able to offer the most precise treatment for warts. Seborrheic keratoses, freckles and more with our US FDA Approved Hyfrecators, Electrocautery machines and Cryotherapy. In fact, because we have so many options for treatment, we are known as the best centre for warts and skin tags around!
With our US FDA Approved Hyfrecators and Electrocautery machines, we are able to use electroenergy or radiofrequency energy to ablate or destroy lesions such as warts, seborrheic keratosis, skin tags, freckles and more! It is 100% safe and completely effective. And, because it uses radiofrequency, side effects are rare to none.